- spur gear
- noungear wheels that mesh in the same plane• Syn: ↑spur wheel
* * *noun also spur gear wheel: the simplest form of toothed wheel used in machinery with radial teeth parallel to the axis of the wheel
* * *Mach.a gear having straight teeth cut on the rim parallel to the axis of rotation.Also called spur wheel.[1815-25]
* * *spur gear or spur wheel nounA gear wheel with straight teeth parallel to its axis, as used in spur gearing, a system of such gears connecting two parallel shafts• • •Main Entry: ↑spur
* * *spur gear,1. a simple gearwheel, having teeth on its rim set radially and with faces parallel to the axle: »
Spur gears have the teeth parallel to the shaft, while helical gear teeth are at an angle (Purvis and Toboldt).2. Also, spur gearing. gearing using such gearwheels.
* * *n. a gearwheel with teeth projecting parallel to the wheel's axis
Useful english dictionary. 2012.